Summer Term 2017 Parent Forum
Friday 26th May 2017
The focus of the Summer Terms Parent Forum was ‘With a new HOTL starting September the following questions were asked and discussed. What are the Foundations of Brixington Academy and 'What should the priorities be for the next academic year from a parental perspective?' There was a real healthy discussion and the following features were raised….
Foundations of the school included;
-Rewards and celebrating achievement
-Stay and play opportunities in the Foundation and Early Years
-Teacher and Parent relationships
- The school community atmosphere and how the children feel at school
- Supportive and approachable staff that understand the different range of children and their needs
- Teaching standards
- The writing walls
- Text communicate supports the needs of working parents
- Sporting events and achievements
- Uniform and Identity
- The PTA and its passion and commitment
Priorities for the next academic year;
- A greater range of musical opportunities -
- More outdoor learning and access to holiday clubs
- A greater range of choice on the school menu
- Better use of home school communication so parents have further warning of events. (Set up a school Facebook page)
- How the achievements of the school are celebrated in the wider community (Increase the reputation of the school
- More traditional activities like sewing, jewellery making and cooking
- Consistent approaches to behaviour by all teachers and consequences are delivered to a few children that affect the enjoyment of others.
- Explore setting up a Facebook page from September 2017 to compliment the text message communication and Friday newsletter. Establish stronger links with the local press and share key new events with the media.
- Review the school behaviour policy and increase teacher supervision at the start, end and over the lunch time period.
- Review the school curriculum and look and focusing a greater range of musical opportunities for children and traditional activities.
The school has set up a survey monkey style questionnaire that will be going out shortly to compliment these responses to gain a broader range of views of the school.
Spring Term 2016 Parent Forum
Friday 4th March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed last weeks Parents Forum which took place following the Brixington Bistro. A really healthy discussion was held around how the school could improve it’s communication with parents and what were the current strengths. Here is a summary of points raised and discussed.
What would you like to see on the school website?
1. Current term dates and dates for the next academic year
2. School dinner menu for the half term
3. A full diary that outlines key events for the academic year
4. Whole school and class letters updated
5. Full school uniform list
6. Up to date Club timetable
7. Link to parent pay
8. Curriculum information
Do you find the Brixington Bulletin informative?
1. Names of those children in the FSU who win the rosette to be included.
2. The photographs are too small and sometimes blurred. Could we receive it electronically?
3. Can be too long and would prefer it sent in an email format.
What are the strengths of the school’s communication with parents?
1. The Brixington Bulletin provides celebratory information about what it means to be a child at the school. Parents like to see what other year groups have been up to.
2. Mr O’Mahony standing on the school gate in the morning welcoming children and parents.
3. Topical parent presentations relating to their child’s learning eg. SAT’s updates, how to support your child at home with their reading, phonic workshops.
4. FSU stay and play opportunities allowing you to learn with your child and seeing them in their own environment eg. Marking marking.
How could the school communicate more effectively with parents?
1.Weekly activity board for each class outlining key events for the week eg. Forest Schools, P.E .
2. Greater notice on events so work commitments can be juggled.
3. Upload presentations made to parents so that these can be seen online if parents are unable to attend.
4. Increased staff presence outside of school in the morning. Perhaps other members of the school leadership team.
5. Non urgent query email box accessed by the parent representative.
6. Whole school reading logs so parents can see how their child is supported with their reading in school.
This week I have fed back to the School leadership team and the school office the key points from the meeting. In the first newsletter after half term I will be including a copy of the topic map for each class and the outline of the weekly timetable that so you will have a clear outline of the children’s learning. I am currently in discussions with a signs company regarding designs for a class update board. This will need to be waterproof and easily updatable. In the Summer term we will send out a request for e-mail addresses so we can send our newsletters electronically. Reading will be our whole school focus in the next academic year and we will be planning a series of parent briefings on strategies and how we can improve communication and liaison with parents.
The date of the next for the next Brixington Bistro will be Friday 22nd April 2016 from 9.00am -9.45am.